The aim is to use the layer-by-layer films as delivery reservoir for active molecules.
This includes anticancer agents such as Paclitaxel that can be trapped in hydrophobic nanodomains created in the films by using chemically modified polysaccharides.
This part is done with R. Auzely-Velty, Professor of Chemistry at UJF specialized in the chemical modification of polysaccharides.
In addition, the films can be used to deliver active proteins in a matrix-bound manner.
This is especially the case for the growth factor BMP-2 (bone morphogenetic protein 2), which is delivered from the biopolymeric films in a very efficient manner.
Fundamental studies are aimed to understand the signaling pathway of matrix-bound BMP-2.
In addition, we have also shown that matrix-bound BMP-2 is osteo-inductive in vivo, when coated on ceramic granules.
This opens perspectives for application of the bioactive films on orthopedic implants to induce bone regeneration.
-Etienne, O., Picart, C., Taddei, C., Haïkel, Y., Dimarcq, J-L ., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., Ogier, J., and C. Egles. Multilayer polyelectrolyte films functionalized by insertion of defensin: a new approach to protection of implants from bacterial colonization. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 48, 3662-3669, 2004.
- Schneider, A., Vodouhê C., Richert, L., Francius, G., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., Frisch, B., Picart C. Multi-functional polyelectrolyte multilayer films: combining mechanical resistance, biodegradability and bioactivity. Biomacromolecules. 8, 139-145, 2007.
- Kadi, S., Cui,D., Bayma, E., Boudou, T., Nicolas, C., Glinel, K., Picart, C., Auzely-Velty, C. Alkylamino hydrazide derivatives of hyaluronan : synthesis, characterization in semi dilute aqueous solutions and assembly in thin multilayered films. Biomacromolecules 10:2875-2884, 2009.
- Crouzier, T., Ren, K., Nicolas, C., Roy, C., Picart. C. Layer-by-layer films as a biomimetic reservoir for rhBMP2 delivery : controlled differentiation of myoblasts to osteoblasts. Small, 5:598-608, 2009.
- Szarpak, A, Cui, D, Dubreuil, F, De Geest, BG, De Cock, LJ, Picart, C., and R. Auzély-Velty. Designing hyaluronic acid based layer-by-layer capsules as carrier for intracellular drug delivery. Biomacromolecules, 8:713-720, 2010.
- Crouzier, T., Szarpak, A., Boudou, T., Auzély-Velty, R. and C. Picart. Polysaccharide blend multilayers containing heparin and hyaluronan as a delivery system for rhBMP-2. Small, 8;6:651-62. 2010.
- Yamanlar S, Sant S, Boudou T, Picart C, Khademhosseini A.Surface functionalization of hyaluronic acid hydrogels by polyelectrolyte multilayer films. Biomaterials 32:5590-5599, 2011.
- Cui, D., Jing, J., Boudou, T., Pignot-Paintraind, I, De Koker, S., De Geest, B.G., Picart, C. and R. Auzély-Velty. Hydrophobic shell loading of biopolyelectrolyte capsules. Adv. Mater 23(24):H200-204, 2011.
- Crouzier, T., Fourel, L., Boudou, T., Albiges-Rizo, C., and C. Picart. Presentation of BMP-2 from a soft biopolymeric film unveils its activity on cell adhesion and migration. Adv. Mat. 23:H111-H118, 2011.
- Crouzier, T, Sailhan, F., Becquart, P., Guillot, R., Logeart-Avramoglou, D., and C. Picart. The performance of BMP-2 loaded TCP/HAP porous ceramics with a polyelectrolyte multilayer film coating. Biomaterials 32(30):7543-7554, 2011.
-Boudou, T, Kharkar, P., Jing, J. Guillot, R., Pignot-Paintrand, I., Auzely-Velty, R., Picart, C. Polyelectrolyte multilayer nanoshells with hydrophobic nanodomains for the delivery of Paclitaxel, J. Control. Release 2012, Epub Jan 24.
Dr Frédéric Sailhan, Hôpital Cochin, Université Paris 5
mise à jour le 7 avril 2012