The aim here is to understand how the polyelectrolytes self-assemble, how the interactions between the oppositely charged polyelectrolytes are paired and what is the internal organization of the films.
In the past years, we have developed a protocol for chemical cross-linking the film in a controlled manner via the carbodiimide chemistry. This allows us to use the films of controlled mechanical properties for subsequent cell interaction studies.
More recently, we have developped on another method based on the selective photo-crosslinking of chemically modified hyalurona.
FTIR spectroscopy is combined with QCM-D measurements, AFM imaging and electron miscropy technique to get insight into film internal structure.
- Picart, C., Lavalle, Ph., Hubert, P., Cuisinier, F.J.G., Decher, G., Schaaf, P., and J-C. Voegel. Buildup mechanism for poly(L-Lysine)/hyaluronic acid films onto a solid surface. Langmuir, 17, 7414-7424, 2001.
- Picart, C., Mutterer, J., Richert, L., Luo, Y., Prestwitch, G., D., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., and Ph. Lavalle. Molecular basis for the explanation of exponantial growth of polyelectrolyte multilayers. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99, 12531-12535, 2002.
- Richert, L., Engler, A. J., Discher, D. E.; Picart, C.; Elasticity of native and cross-linked polyelectrolyte multilayer films. Biomacromolecules;5, 1908-1916, 2004.
- Francius, G, Hemmerlé, J., Ohayon, J., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., Picart, C., and enger, B. Effect on cross-linking on the elasticity of polyelectrolyte multilayers measured by colloidal probe AFM. Microscopy. Res. Tech. 69:84-92, 2006.
- Alves, N.M., Picart, C., Mano, J.M. Self-assembling and cross-linking of polyelectrolyte multilayer films of chitosan and alginate studies by QCM and FTIR. Macromolecular Bioscience. 9:776-85, 2009.
- Crouzier, T. Picart C. Ion pairing and hydration in polyelectrolyte multilayer films containing polysaccharides. Biomacromolecules, 10:433-442, 2009.
- Boudou, T., Crouzier, T., Glinel, K., Auzely-Velty R., and Picart C. Internal composition versus the mechanical properties of polyelectrolyte multilayer films : the influence of chemical cross-linking. Langmuir, 25:13809-13819, 2009.
- Shen, L., Fu, J., Fu; K., Picart, C., and J. Ji. Humidity responsive asymmetric free-standing multilayered films. Langmuir 26:16634-16637, 2010.
- Boudou, T., Crouzier, T., Nicolas, C., Ren, K., and C. Picart. Polyelectrolyte multilayer nanofilms used as thin materials for cell mechano-sensitivity studies. Macromol. Biosci. 11 :77-89, 2011.
- Shen, L., Chaudouet, P., Ji, J and C. Picart. pH-amplified multilayer films based on hyaluronan : influence of HA molecular weight and concentration on film growth and stability. Biomacromolecules, 12:1322-31, 2011.
Professor Rachel Auzely-Velty, Chemistry, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble
Dr. Karine Glinel, UCL Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium.
Professor Jian Ji, Zheijang University, Hangzhu, China.
Professor Joao Mano, University of Minho, Portugal
Date of update April 7, 2012